My place to rant & rave & bitch & moan.

2009-08-02

Love / Bread

The topic of discussion lately among the girls is "Love / Bread". I think people who know mandarin should know what I mean.
For people who don't, let me elaborate:
Love - Passionate, uncontrollable feelings for the other person, regardless of any differences in social status or family background.
Bread - the material qualities that 'fit' your requirements to be your other half... ie. Family background, education, financial status, husband/wife material traits.
We've been discussing which is more important at this point of our lives. We've all seen movies where the princess falls for the tramp, or the ridiculous romantic chick flicks where the successful woman falls in love with the dude that has no career (think What Happens in Vegas). In the end, which would you choose? Love? Bread?
Someone told me (actually, lots of older female friends have been telling me), as I get closer and closer to 30, bread becomes more important in finding that right one.
So, a 30 year old woman will meet a guy, whom may not be the tallest, best lookin, best dresser.. but he is a nice guy, not repulsively unattractive, from a good family, perhaps even studied abroad, with a good job earning way above average income. She will think, ok, I will put him in my "pool of potential men" first, since he fits all the requirements of a decent other half. Then, try to see if she is able to develop feelings for him based on that. This is the decision process of a 30-year-old woman when seeking a mate.
I'm still living in my own little fairy tale. I don't think I can try to fall for a boy based on his requirements. It all seems too much like a job interview - position: decent hubby. I don't want decent. I want great. I want to be speechlessly attracted to a boy, get to know him, realize that he has EVERYTHING I want, then fall in love, get married, have babies.
Mark this.. my ratio of Love/Bread = 70/30 at this day. I'm 26. Let's see how much this ratio will change in 4 years.
Good times this week. Went to the beach, and Tommy was back. What could be better?

2 comments:

  1. i'm 31
    1 year past 30 already
    my ratio is 85/15=love/bread
    am i still living in my fairy tale?
    or i'm just too naive?
    but no matter what
    we both need to have an ending is like "live happily ever after"
    don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah but whats included in your 'love' is also so much fuckin 'bread' anyway. so technically its like 100/100 love/bread.

    yeah you're gonna have to lower your standards im sorry.

    ReplyDelete